God tells us that there should be a difference between the way we look, and the way that others look. Did you know that some countries in the Middle East call the United States "The Great Satan" because of the way women are dressed? I was saved in an Apostolic church that did not believe that women should wear pants, jewelry, make-up, seamed stockings, open-toed shoes or sleeveless dresses. Now that is an extreme, but there is truth in the doctrine that we are to be separate from the world. We can be beautiful and fashionable, and still dress appropriately.
Many past and present arguments state:
- Women should dress modestly so that men won't stumble
- Women are their brother's keeper
- Women have to dress in a certain way to show that they are "good" girls
- If a man has an issue, he will have one until he gives it to God, although we should not be part of it
- We should be concerned about others, but their problems are theirs until they release them
- Just because a woman dresses in a certain way does not always mean that her heart is right
So, before you go out to minister, or even go outside, here are some things to think about:
- What do I want people to see when they look at me?
- Do my garments enhance the message I am bringing, or do they take away from the essence of it?
- What does God think of what I am wearing?